In this article:
What are Leave & Sickness Types?
A Leave or Sickness Type is a configuration option which allows employees to choose what types of Leave or Sickness they are requesting or reporting. This may be useful if you want to record or report on types of Leave & Sickness your employees take, it can also aid with showing why employees are out of the office.
You can also set up allowances related to certain leave types (on top of their Leave allowance). In order to do this, you'll need to use a Leave Type and set it up as 'Deducted'. For more information, see here.
Configuring Leave & Sickness Types
The below outlines the process for configuring Leave Types, follow the same process for Sickness Types, but select Sickness Types from the Leave Configuration menu.
Go to Leave > Admin & Config > Leave Types or Sickness Types.
We've provided some default Leave Types, which you can import by clicking the Add Defaults button in the top right. Alternatively, you can create your own by clicking the Create button.
If you choose to add our defaults, you'll be presented with a dialog box to confirm you want to add the Defaults, click OK and the defaults will import.
You can edit the defaults or remove any that do not apply to you. If you'd like to delete any, select them using the tick boxes on the left then click Delete. Edit the defaults by clicking on the name.
The process is the same if you Create a new Leave Type or edit a Default Leave Type.
Enter the name, and optionally add comments or notes and whether the Leave Type deducts from allowance or not.
There's also some additional options for the Leave Types.
- Requires Approval?
- Choose whether this type of Leave needs to go through the approval process or not
- Allow Recurring Requests?
- Choose whether to enable recurring requests for this type - more information here: Recurring Requests
- Attachment Mandatory?
- Choose whether request attachments for this Leave Type are mandatory or not
- Request Reason
- Choose whether you want employees to provide a reason for their request. If disabled the reason box will not show
- Request Specific Detail?
- Choose whether you want the employee to provide specific details for their request
- Cancellation Reason
- Choose whether you want employees to provide a reason when submitting a cancellation request
- Approve Comments
- Choose whether you want approvers to provide comments for their approval. If disabled the comments box will not show
- Reject Comments
- Choose whether you want approvers to provide comments for the rejection. If disabled the comments box will not show
Integration with External Calendars
- Show in Google/Microsoft 365 Calendar as
- Choose whether this Leave Type appears in calendars as Free or Busy
- External Calendar Event Label Format
- The General Settings will determine what the event is named when being synced with the calendar, optionally override this per Leave / Sickness Type
Integration with Time
- Reduced Planned Hours on Timesheet? (Only available with Time module)
- Choose whether this Leave Type contributes to Timesheet planned hours or not
Integration with Location
- Auto sync with Employee Location (Only available with Location module)
- Choose whether this Leave Type appears on Location planner
- Include Leave Type name?
- Choose whether the type of Leave is included in the Location module
Finally, you can choose a calendar icon to be shown on the Year at a Glance view when this Leave Type is requested.
When you are happy with the Leave Type configuration, click Save.
Deducted or Non-Deducted Leave Types
You can choose whether your Leave Types are set to Deducted or Non-Deducted. If you set a Leave Type as Deducted, when a Leave Request is approved, the employee's Leave Allowance will be deducted the number of days the request spans. This is shown in the Year at a Glance Calendar in Green.
If you make a Leave Type Non-Deducted, the employee's Leave Allowance will not be affected. This is useful for tracking scenarios such as Working from Home, or Offsite Meetings, to highlight that the employee is away from work, but not on Leave. These requests show in the Year at a Glance Calendar in Light Green.
To fully take advantage of the different colours, and to reveal the types in the Team Calendar view, go to Leave > Admin & Config > General Settings > Internal Team Calendar Settings.
Here, there are 3 settings.
- Allow Managers to view All Teams in Team Calendar?
- If this is enabled, Managers will be able to view an option for All Teams
- Reveal Request Type
- If this is enabled, the Request Type of Leave or Sick will be shown in the Team Calendar. If disabled, all requests will show in Green, regardless of Type
- Reveal Leave Type
- If this is enabled, the Leave Type will be available to view in the Team Calendar. Sickness Types are never visible
Deleting Leave & Sickness Types
You can delete Leave Types which are not associated with Custom Leave Types. If you need to delete a Leave Type, and it is a Custom Type, remove it from the Work Profile first.
You can delete multiple Leave or Sickness Types from the main page by ticking the boxes on the left hand side and then the delete button in the top right corner.
You can also delete Leave or Sickness Types from within the type itself by clicking the delete button in the top right corner.